The Youngs

Anything but normal.

Monday, August 28, 2006

One Wild and Crazy Weekend





Friday, I am home, feeling a little down with allergies. Charles calls, "Hey, can I bring this kid to our house to give him a bath and get him some new clothes?" "Ok," I answer with confusion, "I guess so." Five mintues later Charles pulls in the driveway. "This is Sanele," he says with excitement, "He speaks no english." I recognize him from being at the Fonteyn care point everyday. Over the next 30 miinutes, Charles brings him in to give him a bath as my neighbors, Stan and Sue, and I rummage through donated clothing in thier storage trying to find his size. He is five years old. Then I go find Charles to hear the rest of the story. His mom is an alcohlic who stays at her boyfriends house while Sanele sleeps on the streets. She has four children, who all live with different people. She told Charles that she did not want him and that we could keep him. Charles was caught up in the moment of wanting to help. One of the community leaders asked Charles to take him for the weekend and they would try to find someone in the community that would care for him. Charles agreed. He has been at our house since Friday. After his bath and fresh clothes, he sat on our couch to watch Finding Nemo. A few minutes into it, he peed on my sofa. What to do. Do I get mad? Do I fuss and tell him no? All he has ever know is to just go in his pants. Charles takes him back to put new bottoms on him. Friday night we went to a friends house where we discovered that he loved toy cars and trucks. I wish all of you could have seen his face when we were just driving through the city. He had never seen anything outside of his community before. Saturday he watched Monsters Inc and we brought him to town to try to find him some new pants and shoes. A pair of pants, a pair of shorts, two shirts, a belt, a pair of socks and shoes later, we made our way back home. All weekend he enjoyed riding in a car, playing with toys and eating three meals a day. None of which he had ever done before. This morning we brought him to the care point to play with his friends. We are not sure what is going to happen to him. The community leaders have not found anyone to take him yet. Do I know that there a millions in Africa like him? Yes. Do I know there is no way I can help them all? Yes. Do I believe in reaching the world one person at a time? Yes. Do I believe each one reach one? Yes. Do you? Please pray with us for Sanele as we are trying to find him a home.

9 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

That is an amazing story! I'm so proud of yall! God is doing amazing things through yall and I am so excited to be involved by just reading your posts. =) Yall make me want to be there so much more! I love and miss yall tons!

Be blessed,
Stephanie

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! i wish with all my heart i could have been there for this..i remember this little boy, he is adorable!! after i talked to charles the other day and he told me that yall had a little boy for the weekend i called natalie ASAP, and we just knew it was going to be this one!! she and i are praying that he finds a wonderful loving home!! thanks for the update :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Antoinette said...

Oh Kristen. How my heart aches for this poor child. I am praying that he gets into a christian home where he will be taken care of like it should be. I forgot that you had a blog, so I will be checking it now. I am also glad that you showed the little boy a bit of Disney. That is what every child should see. I saw Brie a coulple of weeks ago, she is so cute. Thank goodness she looks like your side of the family!! Love ya so much, net.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Antoinette said...

Kristen,
I want to send you a package of goodies and/or something for a child that needs clothes, goodies, toys or anything. Let me know what you and Charles would like.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Bawling! Crying! You guys should contact Save the Children...the number is 4042573 and ask for Timothy. Also contact Charmain and Kallie and see if they can take him in at El Shaddai. I love and miss you guys!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSHHHH!!!!
HE was MY FAVORITE....I'm so jealous that I wasn't there to see his FACE when he got to sleep in a real bed! I miss ya'll so much. Always in my prayers....

Love

Nat L

10:50 PM  
Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

I don't know...sounds like he may have found a home =)

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sniffle, sniffle* I have to get myself together as I'm reading this blog. I love that you guys are doing what you are doing. When I came back from Africa God gave me a vision of being on the mission feild! I know that it's not always easy but, gosh I can't wait to have a memory like that!
... I need a box of kleenex*

10:01 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Well first I want to say how much I miss you guys! And this next part is to Charles. what up crazy nigga? Hey at least my DVDs are being put to great use out there. I want to come and work out there with ya'll. ME and Meg are doing great. We both want to come out there. I love yuu man and miss you. keep up the awesome work.
stand Up Stand Out
Eddie

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page